brush with intelligence - I

the other day at a dinner when someone found out that I was a journalist asked me whether i had experienced any dangerous situations -- i have done no wartime reporter, hell i have done no reporting from FATA or Swat either so cant say its been dangerous -- interesting, intriguing perhaps?
the first time i had a brush with intelligence agencies was when i was a reporter in lahore - nawaz sharif has been ousted musharraf had taken over and the army had been deployed in WAPDA -- in the typical army response after any coup, as if deputing uniformed soldiers (and not qualified and competent engineers) was the answer to making a power utility company more efficient -- WAPDA was also my beat temporarily and i got a call from a col mansoor who it turns out had sent his staff to my house in defence as well -- this given that i had been living in said house for barely two weeks -- sharing it with the owner who was a single doctor -- and a family friend of a my brother in law -- i told my editor, Tahir Mirza, who said no harm in meeting the people -- so off i went -- turns out it is an unmarked house very close to the then airport -- went in -- all men in civilian clothes and met the brigadier who was most interested in my reporting of seminars organized by Nighat Said Khan's ASR -- and told me that any story that I did for my paper which wasnt carried I could give to them! and the col who had invited me was also there and gave me his cell and told me if i ever needed anything - anything -- i should get in touch with him -- during my brief meeting with the brigadier sahab a call came from a man in the field who was calling from a lawyer's function or something like that

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banned Indian channel the most watched on Pakistani cable TV

Mysterious plane spotted at Karachi airport

What is an Indian FM channel doing in Karachi???!!